UPdate 2.20.2018 | MV MEDIA
Aerie | Eagle Eye | VistaNow.org | VistaNow Video
Experience The Experience.
Know your why.
Why do you do what you do?
Be There. Make Their Day. Play. Choose Your Attitude.
Be good at everything. Be great at something.
Seek perfection. Catch excellence.
- Facebook Journalism Project
- What 7 Washington Post photographers discovered after having 102 conversations with people in all 50 states plus D.C.
- 40 time-tested tips for journalists that never go out of style
- 2018-19 MV Media Editor Application
- Capitol Hill Press Conference, Denver, on Monday, Feb. 26, 2018 — We can take 8 students. Editors get first dibs. RSVP to Newt by Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018.
- CSMA Winter Coverage Challenge | For the first challenge, students are asked to cover “ONE DAY” — Friday, Feb. 9 — and submit their spread or video or online coverage to a state-wide contest. Details: CLICK HERE. Deadline: Feb. 21, 2018.
- JCamp 2018 | A FREE six-day intensive, multicultural journalism training program for high school students hosted by the Wayne State University Department of Communication in Detroit July 30-Aug. 4, 2018. Information HERE. Deadline: March 25, 2018.
- New York Times 2017-18 Student Contest Calendar
Winter Break EP!C! Experience
Editor Planning Meeting at Starbucks
- Think the Vote | How do you feel about…? (Many topics are journalism, media and First Amendment related.) Join the weekly debate for a chance to win $1,000. | Weekly contest HERE.
- Society of Professional Journalists/Journalism Education Association 2018 High School Essay Contest | Topic: “Why do we — as consumers of media — need to obtain news from multiple feeds and not just one or two outlets?” Top Prize: $1,000 scholarship. Information HERE. Deadline (postmark): Feb. 23, 2018.
- NSPA Journalism Honor Roll | Recognizes students who have achieved a 3.5 or higher grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) and have completed at least two years on staff by the end of this school year. Students in their second year on staff are eligible. Seniors who qualify for the Honor Roll can enter into a competition for one or more $1,000 scholarships. Information HERE. Deadline: Feb. 23, 2018.
- NSPA Wikoff Scholarship for Editorial Leadership | The $1,000 award will be given to a high school senior on the staff of an NSPA member newspaper with a minimum 3.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale or equivalent. In addition to the entry form, applicants must submit three published editorials and a brief recommendation from the adviser. Information HERE. Deadline: Feb. 23, 2018.
- Colorado Press Association Journalism Scholarship | A $1,500 scholarship for a Colorado high school student pursuing a career in print journalism. Information and application HERE. Deadline: Feb. 28, 2018.
- TEENDRIVE365 VIDEO CHALLENGE | Create a 30-60 second video for your fellow teen drivers that highlights the importance of safe teen driving and you could win $15,000, or one of 14 other prizes! All the details HERE. Deadline: February 28, 2018
- 2018 Jostens Photog Fest Contest | Nine categories. Grand Prize: $1,000 cash and a Canon Rebel T6i camera with 18-55mm zoom lens. Information HERE. Deadline (submission): March 1, 2018.
- 2018 Doodle 4 Google contest | Students in grades K-12 are invited to take part in the contest, and create an uplifting doodle that tells the world “What inspires me.”One national winner will receive a $30,000 college scholarship, a $50,000 technology package for their school/non-profit organization, and a behind-the-scenes experience with the Doodle team to transform their Doodle into an interactive experience on Google.com. Information HERE. Deadline: March 2, 2018.
- Dottie Roberts Foundation Publishing Scholarship | A $5,000 to $18,000/year scholarship to support a college education for young women from Colorado who have demonstrated an interest in and commitment to publishing-related careers (there are no restrictions as to the college major). Information flyer: Roberts Publishing Scholarship. Deadline: March 23, 2018.
- CSMA Best of Colorado | Information and entry form TBA. Deadline: April 10, 2018, at 9:59 p.m.
- CSMA Photographer of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
- CSMA Designer of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
- CSMA Reporter of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
- CSMA Broadcaster of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
QUILL AND SCROLL INTERNATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY FOR HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALISTS—
- Quill and Scroll seeks to: (1) Encourage individual initiative in high school journalism, specifically in reporting, writing, design, leadership, photography and other related skills valuable to the journalistic endeavor; and (2) Recognize and reward the individual achievements of students engaged in journalistic activity.
- 2017-18 deadline has passed. You missed it!
EPIC EXAMPLES and STORY IDEAS —
- Media Circus: The Best Journalism of 2017
- More Than 100 Exceptional Works of Journalism
- High School Students Explain Why They Protest Anthems and Pledges
- Mallory Pugh:
- DCSD students present on the floor of the Capitol
- Playing Tackle Football Before 12 Is Tied to Brain Problems Later
- #175Stories from Southwest Airlines
- Nederland’s Beth Buglione, the first female head football coach in Colorado high school history, ready to wade through adversity
- What Does America Stand For? We Asked Teenagers
- Why Are More American Teenagers Than Ever Suffering From Severe Anxiety?
- Not drinking or driving, teens increasingly put off traditional markers of adulthood
- The Resegregation of Jefferson County
- Rachel Martin’s High School Reunion on NPR
- New York Today: High School Regrets
- The Rooms Where Writers Work
- At the heart of every restaurant
- 2017 Pulitzer Prizes for journalism
- Teenage Documentarians Show the Power of Photography
- A Journey From ‘Real World’ to Homeless Shelter — and College
- Like. Flirst. Ghost: A Journey Into the Social Media Lives of Teenagers
- Inside Santa Monica High
- “The Moment” from the Dallas Morning News
- Justin Goes to College
MV MEDIA GRADUATES—
- Tyler Kraft > Ten years later, 2007 Border War game remains one for the ages
- Taylor Blatchford > Belgian soccer club levels playing field for refugees
- Comic Sans: The Man Behind the World’s Most Contentious Font
- Really, What Are Wingdings and Why Are They Important?
- Why the Wingdings font exists
- A typographic dating game!
- “Color” web game
- Oh Hell No: 12 Iconic Logos Redrawn Using Comic Sans
- The Elements of Style rap video (really!)
- The Evolution of the Web (really cool!)
- Comic Sans Criminal
- Reporter For High School Newspaper Most Professional Journalist In Nation (from the Onion)
- Check out this funny video, “Font Conference”
- Ms magazine is looking for young women, ages 14-19, to write a journalistic, reported pieces, focused on current issues facing teen girls and the activism of teen girls to solve the issue. Twelve articles will be published, eight online and four in the quarterly print issue of Ms magazine. The 500-700-word pieces will be fact checked and print pieces will require audio recording of all interviews (e.g. interviews cannot be done over email or text messenger. Must be by phone, Skype, FaceTime, etc. and recorded.). Writers will be paid $100 for published articles. Go HERE for all the details.
- TeenVogue IS LOOKING FOR FRESH VOICES TO FEATURE AS FREELANCE WRITERS — Send pitches and writing samples to: Melanie_Mignucci@condenast.com
- Get your best work “Flipped!” JEA and Flipboard are partnering to create the one place for the best high school journalism being produced today. Each month five stories will be selected or “Flipped.” Winning selections will win a Flipboard t-shirt and be showcased on the magazine. Submissions can be written stories, photo stories, video stories or broadcast stories, but they must have been previously published in a school newspaper, school-sponsored publication or website, and currently available online. Information HERE. Submit content to: email@example.com.
- Colorado Community Media is looking for freelancers to write stories and take photographs. For more information, CLICK HERE. What a great way to work with professionals, get real-life experience and get your work published outside of school.
STUDENT MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISM ORGANIZATIONS—
- A student membership to the Student Press Law Center is only $15.
- Become a student member of the Society of News Design —$60 a year with some neat benefits.
- For Society of Professional Journalists student membership ($37.50) information, click here.
- Become a student member of the Radio Television Digital News Association for $65 a year.
BUSINESS PROFESSIONALS OF AMERICA—
- Official website of BPA.
- Workplace Skills Assessment Program | The WSAP Competitive Events program is the biggest cog of what makes BPA tick. Students prepare for and compete in contests in over 50 categories, under the four broad topics of Finance, Information Technology, Administrative Support, and Management/Marketing/Human Resources. (There are several journalism-related categories, including design, presentation, broadcast, website, public speaking and current events).
JOURNALISM NATIONAL CONVENTIONS—
- April 12-15, 2018, San Francisco
- To access the required DCSD travel forms and make the final payment ($100), CLICK HERE.
- November 1-4, 2018, Chicago
- April 25-28, 2019, Anaheim
- November 21-24, 2019, Washington, D.C.
- April 16-19, 2020, Nashville
- November 19-22, 2020, Orlando
- Val Hoeppner’s Apps for Journalists 2017
- Looking to create an online portfolio to showcase all of your epic work for college applications and/or contests, or just for you personal creativity? Take a look at Behance by Adobe.
- A mobile app is now available for free to help you learn the principles of the First Amendment. The app, available for your smart phone or your computer, explains the five freedoms protected by the First Amendment and features video clips of Dr. Dwight Teeter, a professor at the University of Tennessee and internationally known expert in First Amendment law. To download the app, click HERE.
Thank you for being part of MV Media!