UPdate 03.28.17 | MV MEDIA
Aerie | Eagle Eye | VistaNow.org | VistaNow Video | Journalism I
Experience The Experience.
Know your why. Why do you do what you do?
THE LEAD (YOU KNOW, THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION!)
- Storytelling, Journalism, Interviewing, Writing (20-24 short videos from YouTube)
- Audiences no longer care about platforms. The content creator is ‘king.’
- A new study says young Americans have a broad definition of news
- Watch Newt on the Colorado Press Women “Restoring Trust in the Media” panel discussion
- Pixar offers free online lessons in storytelling via Khan Academy
- Do These 30 Things If You Want to Be Unstoppable
- For more MV Media EP!C! Experiences > CLICK HERE.
- Youth Leadership Douglas County | Applications for the 2017-18 program are due April 1, 2017.
- New York Times Student Editorial Contest | Information HERE. Deadline: April 4, 2017
- CSMA Best of Colorado | Information HERE. Save entry into the appropriate folder on the school server by Monday, April 1. Please note that if you’re going to Seattle, Deadline: April 11, 2017 at 9:59 p.m.
- CSMA “…of the Year” Awards | Information below. Deadline: April 15, 2017.
- Colorado Student Reporting Contest: How tobacco is impacting school/community | Information HERE. Deadline: TBA
- Monica’s Health Magazine Scholarship of Academic Excellence | Two $2,500 scholarships awarded to students to promote a healthy lifestyle. Information and application HERE. Deadline: August 30, 2017.
BUSINESS PROFESSIONALS OF AMERICA—
- Official website of BPA.
- Workplace Skills Assessment Program | The WSAP Competitive Events program is the biggest cog of what makes BPA tick. Students prepare for and compete in contests in over 50 categories, under the four broad topics of Finance, Information Technology, Administrative Support, and Management/Marketing/Human Resources. (There are several journalism-related categories, including design, presentation, broadcast, website, public speaking and current events).
QUILL AND SCROLL INTERNATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY FOR HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALISTS—
- Official website of Quill and Scroll. (See Newt for more information, including qualifications and cost.)
- MyMozaic, a recruiting and networking site, is open for Quill and Scroll members to create a portfolio of their accomplishments. Sign up HERE by April 30, 2017, to apply for a $500 college scholarship.
IT’S JUST GOOD STUFF—
- Like. Flirst. Ghost: A Journey Into the Social Media Lives of Teenagers
- Inside Santa Monica High
- “The Moment” from the Dallas Morning News
- Justin Goes to College
- 8 digital skills we must teach our children
- 3 Famous Writers on the Relationship Between Reading and Writing
- The Pyramid of Journalism Competence: what journalists need to know
- Why you should always talk to strangers
- 5 Improv Lessons Every Designer Should Know
- USA TODAY Voices: Why journalism students need improv classes
- 15 Improv ‘Rules’ That Anybody Can Follow To Live A More Fulfilling Life
- noteworthy | Shedding light on the creative process from NPR
- The best stories of America from Bob Dotson (great storytelling examples!)
- BBC Journalism Academy
- 10 basics today’s journalists need
- Humans of New York Creator Reveals How He Gets People to Share Life’s Intimate Details
- Great info on copyright and fair use: Can I use that? A legal primer for journalists
- The editorial product
- ‘Don’t be boring’ and 6 other interviewing tips from Jacqui Banaszynski
- 20 tools and resources every journalist should experiment with
- Here’s what journalists miss when they don’t leave the office
- One in 8 million from The New York Times
- Seven lessons from Humans of New York’s Brandon Stanton at SXSW
- How to Approach Strangers (Brandon Stanton, Humans of New York)
- Exploring the new tools & resources for the next generation of journalists
- Everyone in the World Has a Story
- Society of Professional Journalists eCampus online training videos
- The First Draft, a blog by the Society of Professional Journalists Generation J
- How to Get a Press Pass, a how-to article from the Society of Professional Journalists
- 8 steps for building your writing process
- The Two Minutes It Takes To Read This Will Improve Your Writing Forever
- Your quest for a lead starts with these questions about your story
- How to win a National Magazine Award
- 15 tips for handling quotes
- 7 free tools for anyone who wants to become a better writer
- 7 Self-Editing Tips for Reporters Without Copy Editor
- News writing tips
- Diverse Paths to a Story
- 7 Storytelling Techniques Used by the Most Inspiring TED Presenters
- How to tell a good story
- How to find details that make a powerful story
- Data Storytelling: The Essential Data Science Skill Everyone Needs
- It’s Time For Every Journalist To Learn Basic Data Skills
- The Five Most Essential Camera Settings and How to Use Them
- Everyone Is A Photographer, But Not Every Picture Is A Photograph
- Harvard Has a Free Online 12-Module Digital Photo Course
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Memory Cards: Tips for Photographers
- Lecture on Digital Photography
- Why a camera might be the least important thing a photographer brings to the job
- Telling visual stories: Photography tips for journalists
- A ‘Relentless’ Sports Photographer Explains How He Got His Shots
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC’S JAY DICKMAN SHEDS LIGHT ON HOW TO BE A BETTER PHOTOGRAPHER
- 15 Brilliant Cheatsheets That Simplify The Basics Of Photography
- 6 Photographers Shoot Portraits Of The Same Man, Reveal It’s All About Perspective
- 15 of the Best Cheat Sheets, Printables and Infographics for Photographers
- Another 15 Cheat Sheets, Printables and Infographics for Photographers
- 13 exercises for photographers to jumpstart creativity
- How to write great captions for your photos
- 6 Types of Photos Every Photographer Should Know How to Make
- The art of photo cropping
- How to take great photos—even on your cell phone (from TEDblog)
- How to take a great picture (from TEDed)
- Former VISTAj editor Rob Denton, a journalism major at CU and former editor of the CU Independent who nows works for the Eugene Register-Guard, taught a photo lab for CU students. Click HERE to access his teaching website. It’s amazing!
- The 5 Most Abused Rules of Composition at ExpertPhotography.com
- 12 tips to become a better smartphone photographer from CNN Tech
- DSLR photography demystified
- The Most Important Skill for a Photojournalist
- Tips from National Geographic photographers.
- Beginners Guide to Sports Photography
- Understanding and Appreciating the Basics of Photojournalism
- 23 Helpful Photography Tutorials
- Two amazing blogs by professionals created to make you better (if you read them!): Strobist and All Photo Buzz.
- From nytimesphoto: Take a look at the work of the four Pulitzer-winning photographers — and listen to one, too. Click HERE for this amazing presentation.
- John Beale, photojournalism instructor at Penn State University and former newspaper photojournalist, has created an impressive website.
- Discover how to use your digital camera with at the Digital Photography School, a community of photographers of all experience levels who come together to learn, share and grow in our understanding of photography.
- 10 video formats to tell stories from your mobile phone
- Before you go Live: consult this checklist
- How to create videos using your smartphone
- Five mobile journalism basics to remember
- Video on mobile: How to file great digital content
- 5 Factors of Video Viewability
- Create Great (Video) Content from Google
- PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs
- Writing for Mobile: Bite-size basics
- 7 Tips for Budding Mobile Journalists
- Moving Stills: Video Storytelling by Photographers
- How to plan your multimedia story
- 4 Tips For Creating Videos That Don’t Put Your Audience to Sleep
- Guide to Broadcast and Video
- How The 2016 Olympic Logo and Font were Created
- Creating Appealing Visuals
- 7 most common data visualization mistakes
- How to Be an Educated Consumer of Infographics: David Byrne on the Art-Science of Visual Storytelling
- The 50 Things Every Graphic Design Student Should Know by Jamie Wieck
- This Documentary reveals Graphic Design before Computers made it Easy
- For Designers: Useful Tools To Help You Find Effective Font Combinations
- Check out the website of Charles Apple. Lots of examples and resources. This guy gets it!
- Study: Good design causes the brain to pay more attention to news stories
- Explaining graphic design to four-year-olds
- 77 Ways to Design the Letter ‘M’ (pretty darn cool!)
- An easy-to-use infographic creator
- Secret to Creating Clever Logos
- Seven Sacred Principles Of Design
- 25 Epic Graphic Design Tips for Non-Designers
- Watch a Designer Who Really Knows What He’s Doing Create a Logo From Scratch
- Know If a Font Sucks
- The 10 Commandments of Typography
- Typography is a practice
- Information is Beautiful: ideas, issues, knowledge, data — visualized!
- The Anatomy of a Magazine Cover
- 10 Commandments of Typography
- Ten principles for good design
- Typography in 7 Minutes
- You will enjoy designer superstar Tim Harrower’s website. Trust me. (Be sure to play around on the entire site.)
- Check out NewsPageDesigner at the Society of News Design.
- News organizations turn to Snapchat to reach new audiences
- How Snapchat is Changing the Way We Communicate
- How to Teach Live-Tweeting to Journalism Students
- The Quick Guide to Using Snapchat for Business in 2016
- Nine habits you need for social media success
- Social Media: Strategies and Tools for News
- Snapchat Challenges Twitter And Facebook For Sports Talk
- Storytelling on Snapchat
- Distributed news: The Vox way of getting stories out to 6 social platforms
- Checklist: How to edit for social media
- Snapchat wants to slip a little news into teens’ social smartphone time
- Top 10 Twitter tips for journalists, from NPR’s own @nprweekend and @nprscottsimon
- Why Good Journalists Simply Can’t Live Without Social Media
- When Content Is Not King
- Twitter’s Mark Luckie Share Tips for Student Journalists
- 14 Great Tools to Create Engaging Infographics and Images for your Social Media Posts
- Why hyperlocal news outlets should take advantage of the power of the smartphone (be sure to listen)
- Stop Writing Boring Headlines: 11 Types of Headlines That Pique Reader Interest
- 8 digital features every online newspaper should have
- 60 Minutes (March 26): “How fake news becomes a popular, trending topic”
- Students Can’t Recognize Fake News. That’s a Problem.
- Four tricky ways that fake news can fool you
- A Finder’s Guide To Facts
- Fake News vs. Real News: Determining the Reliability of Sources
- Comic Sans: The Man Behind the World’s Most Contentious Font
- Really, What Are Wingdings and Why Are They Important?
- Why the Wingdings font exists
- A typographic dating game!
- “Color” web game
- Oh Hell No: 12 Iconic Logos Redrawn Using Comic Sans
- The Elements of Style rap video (really!)
- The Evolution of the Web (really cool!)
- Comic Sans Criminal
- Reporter For High School Newspaper Most Professional Journalist In Nation (from the Onion)
- Check out this funny video, “Font Conference”
- Looking to create an online portfolio to showcase all of your epic work for college applications and/or contests, or just for you personal creativity? Take a look at Behance by Adobe.
- Here’s a cool look at some amazing creative work from 2016 showcased on Behance.
- A mobile app is now available for free to help you learn the principles of the First Amendment. The app, available for your smart phone or your computer, explains the five freedoms protected by the First Amendment and features video clips of Dr. Dwight Teeter, a professor at the University of Tennessee and internationally known expert in First Amendment law. To download the app, click HERE.
- Get your best work “Flipped!” JEA and Flipboard are partnering to create the one place for the best high school journalism being produced today. Each month five stories will be selected or “Flipped.” Winning selections will win a Flipboard t-shirt and be showcased on the magazine. Submissions can be written stories, photo stories, video stories or broadcast stories, but they must have been previously published in a school newspaper, school-sponsored publication or website, and currently available online. Information HERE. Submit content to: email@example.com.
- Colorado Community Media is looking for freelancers to write stories and take photographs. For more information, CLICK HERE. What a great way to work with professionals, get real-life experience and get your work published outside of school.
- YourHub.com, the Denver Post’s regional supplement, is looking for teen writers and photographers to create content about school, community and teen issues. Click here to register.
STUDENT MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISM ORGANIZATIONS—
- A student membership to the Student Press Law Center is only $15.
- Become a student member of the Society of News Design —$60 a year with some neat benefits.
- For Society of Professional Journalists student membership ($37.50) information, click here.
- Become a student member of the Radio Television Digital News Association for $65 a year.
- The top 10 schools for journalism in the U.S.
- Top 25 Colleges for Journalism from DegreeQuery.com
- The best journalism school in America is…
- Journalism Schools Add Courses in Sports, Emerging Technology
- Sports Journalism Program at Arizona State University
- 5 Exemplary College Journalism Projects from 2013
- RTDNA Survey: The top 20 journalism schools
- 6 Most Popular Colleges for Journalism Majors
- This is what it’s like to attend a great journalism school, Arizona State University. Check out THIS.
- Multimedia Journalism Degree Programs
- Top Journalism Schools: The Top Accredited Journalism Schools and Degrees
- Find your path to success with The Paths to Professions college rankings from The Wall Street Journal. Students can find the top 25 schools as picked by recruiters and the best schools in eight majors. With insights and tools to help parents and students think strategically about colleges and careers, Path to Professions is a sure step on the road to success.
- From Poynter: Two reactions to the post questioning the relevance of journalism schools.
- Best journalism schools — http://www.squidoo.com/bestjschools
- Searchable database of journalism schools
- Searchable database of journalism schools
- Princeton Review names best college newspapers
- What skills do you need to stay in journalism?
- The 10 skills you need to thrive in the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Who Are the “Journalism Kids”? Academic Predictors of Journalism Participation in Secondary Schools
- JOURNALISM NEEDS TO BE A REQUIRED COURSE. FOR EVERYONE.
- How to prepare the journalists of tomorrow today
- More Than Yearbooks or Newspapers: High School Journalism Is About the Process
- Why the world needs journalism students
- Opinion: Journalism companies are dead. Long live journalists.
- Now, there’s one more reason to be a journalist — you can help save journalism
- Want to get a journalism job? Here are the skills you need, according to a new report
- Does Going to Journalism School Make Any Sense Today?
- About that J-school education…
- 10 Job Skills You’ll Need in 2020
- Advice to graduates: Make your work stand out
- The Advantages Of A Formal Design Education
- Billionaire hedge fund manager Paul Tudor Jones has some surprising advice for people who want to succeed in business: Take a journalism class.
- Who’d Be a Journalist?
- Keep the Faith and Believe in Newspapers
- 30 cranky bits of wisdom on the craft of journalism
- The Pyramid of Journalism Competence: what journalists need to know
- The Generational Shift Comes to Digital Journalism
- How my high school journalism teacher taught me to run a billion dollar company
- For photojournalists, internships are a must
- Facing Change: The needs, attitudes and experiences of people in media
- In digital media’s youth crusade, career paths are fuzzy
- How to be happy in journalism if you hate being a reporter
- What are you going to do with that degree?
- I’m Graduating High School and I Want to Be a Journalist but Everyone Says I’m Nuts!
- Communication Skills Training Can Improve Your Net Worth
- Don’t believe the skeptics: college newspapers are great training for real-world journalism
- 5 skills college grads need to get a job
- I went to journalism school, and you should too. Maybe.
- Journalism Is a Great Major
- Journalism Education: It’s Time to Craft the Gateway Degree
- Some Advice to Ignore
- Why Study Journalism?
- Nate Silver’s Advice to Young Journalists
- Becoming a Journalist in the Digital Age
- Journalism Degrees and Programs
- 10 Things We Should Be Teaching Today’s College Students
- 10 Reasons Why a Young Person Should Still Want to Be a Journalist
- Call me an optimist, but the future of journalism isn’t bleak
- The Future of Journalism Education: 2013 Poynter NewsU Survey
- What Should Reporters Learn in Journalism School?
- 10 Journalism Jobs That Didn’t Exist 10 Years Ago
- What Career Is Right for Me?
- Innovating Journalism for a New Media World
- Future of newspapers for those with skill, interest in serving local community
- Should I go to J-School? Google’s answer
- Beyond J-School from Mediashift
- “The Journalist’s Road to Success: A Career Guide”
- “Analysing data is the future for journalists,” says Tim Berners-Lee; inventor of the world wide web says reporters should be hunting for stories in datasets. Read the article here.
- College Journalists: 14 Things To Do Before You Graduate
- Newsrooms changing and new key positions evolving
HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALISM NATIONAL CONVENTIONS—
- April 6-9, 2017, Seattle
- Nov. 16-19, 2017, Dallas
- April 12-15, 2018, San Francisco
- Nov. 1-4, 2018, Chicago
- April 25-28, 2019, Anaheim
- November 21-24, 2019, Washington, D.C.
SUMMER JOURNALISM WORKSHOPS (scholarships available)—
- High School Media Innovation Camp | June 18-20 at Arizona State University. Information HERE. Deadline: March 24, 2017
- Coming soon!
Thank you for being part of Mountain Vista Media!