UPdate 09.23.2017 | MV MEDIA
Aerie | Eagle Eye | VistaNow.org | VistaNow Video
Experience The Experience.
Know your why. Why do you do what you do?
Be There. Make Their Day. Play. Choose Your Attitude.
Be good at everything. Be great at something.
Seek perfection. Catch excellence.
- Thursday, October 19, 2017 — Colorado Student Media Association J-Day, Fort Collins. RSVP HERE by Tuesday, Sept. 26.
- Tuesday, October 17, 2017 — Colorado Supreme Court at MVHS. If you are interested in covering the event (two real court cases), you must attend the entire day of cases, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. RSVP to Newt by Tuesday, Oct. 3.
- February 26, 2018 — Capitol Hill Press Conference, Denver
- Douglas County Youth Congress | Information and application HERE. September 25, 2017 at State Capitol, Denver. This is an event where adult leaders work with youth leaders on issues that affect the lives of Douglas County youth.
- Scholastic Journalism Week Poster Contest | This year’s theme, “Student Choice, Student Voice,” is all about the student free press as an open forum for free expression run by students, for students. Information: Scholastic Journalism Week Poster Contest. Deadline: Oct. 16, 2017
- Quill & Scroll 2017 Yearbook Contest | Information and entry HERE. Deadline: November 1, 2017. To Newt Deadline: Friday, October 27, 2017.
- Smithsonian Photo Contest 2017 | Information and entry HERE. Deadline: November 30, 2017, at 3 p.m.
- CSMA First Amendment PSA Contest | Information and entry HERE. Deadline: December 5, 2017 at 11:59 p.m.
- Quill & Scroll International Gold Key Writing & Blogging Contest | Information and entry TBS. Deadline: February 5, 2018.
- We the Students Essay Contest, sponsored by the Bill of Rights Institute | Information HERE. Deadline: February 5, 2018.
- CSMA Colorado Student Journalist of the Year-Greer Scholarship/Benson Scholarship | Information and application TBA. Deadline: February 15, 2018.
- CSMA Best of Colorado | Information and entry form TBA. Deadline: April 10, 2018, at 9:59 p.m.
- CSMA Photographer of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
- CSMA Designer of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
- CSMA Reporter of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
- CSMA Broadcaster of the Year | Information and entry TBA. Deadline: April 15, 2018.
QUILL AND SCROLL INTERNATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY FOR HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALISTS—
- Quill and Scroll seeks to: (1) Encourage individual initiative in high school journalism, specifically in reporting, writing, design, leadership, photography and other related skills valuable to the journalistic endeavor; and (2) Recognize and reward the individual achievements of students engaged in journalistic activity.
- 2017-18 deadline has passed. You missed it!
- Initiation fee and first year membership: $25
- Membership dues: $10 per year (year two and year three)
- Must be a currently active senior in the program for at least one semester to cord in May.
- Must be of sophomore, junior or senior classification.
- Must have the equivalent of a B grade average, or be in the upper third of their class in general scholastic standing, either for the year of their election or for the cumulative total of all high school work.
- Full payment of all fees. Make check payable to “MVHS Yearbook.”
- 2017-18 deadline has passed. You missed it!
EPIC EXAMPLES —
- Rachel Martin’s High School Reunion on NPR
- 2017 Pulitzer Prizes for journalism
- Teenage Documentarians Show the Power of Photography
- A Journey From ‘Real World’ to Homeless Shelter — and College
- Like. Flirst. Ghost: A Journey Into the Social Media Lives of Teenagers
- Inside Santa Monica High
- “The Moment” from the Dallas Morning News
- Justin Goes to College
MV MEDIA GRADUATES—
- Taylor Blatchford > Belgian soccer club levels playing field for refugees
- Comic Sans: The Man Behind the World’s Most Contentious Font
- Really, What Are Wingdings and Why Are They Important?
- Why the Wingdings font exists
- A typographic dating game!
- “Color” web game
- Oh Hell No: 12 Iconic Logos Redrawn Using Comic Sans
- The Elements of Style rap video (really!)
- The Evolution of the Web (really cool!)
- Comic Sans Criminal
- Reporter For High School Newspaper Most Professional Journalist In Nation (from the Onion)
- Check out this funny video, “Font Conference”
- TeenVogue IS LOOKING FOR FRESH VOICES TO FEATURE AS FREELANCE WRITERS — Send pitches and writing samples to: Melanie_Mignucci@condenast.com
- Get your best work “Flipped!” JEA and Flipboard are partnering to create the one place for the best high school journalism being produced today. Each month five stories will be selected or “Flipped.” Winning selections will win a Flipboard t-shirt and be showcased on the magazine. Submissions can be written stories, photo stories, video stories or broadcast stories, but they must have been previously published in a school newspaper, school-sponsored publication or website, and currently available online. Information HERE. Submit content to: email@example.com.
- Colorado Community Media is looking for freelancers to write stories and take photographs. For more information, CLICK HERE. What a great way to work with professionals, get real-life experience and get your work published outside of school.
STUDENT MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISM ORGANIZATIONS—
- A student membership to the Student Press Law Center is only $15.
- Become a student member of the Society of News Design —$60 a year with some neat benefits.
- For Society of Professional Journalists student membership ($37.50) information, click here.
- Become a student member of the Radio Television Digital News Association for $65 a year.
BUSINESS PROFESSIONALS OF AMERICA—
- Official website of BPA.
- Workplace Skills Assessment Program | The WSAP Competitive Events program is the biggest cog of what makes BPA tick. Students prepare for and compete in contests in over 50 categories, under the four broad topics of Finance, Information Technology, Administrative Support, and Management/Marketing/Human Resources. (There are several journalism-related categories, including design, presentation, broadcast, website, public speaking and current events).
JOURNALISM NATIONAL CONVENTIONS—
- Nov. 16-19, 2017, Dallas
- April 12-15, 2018, San Francisco
- Nov. 1-4, 2018, Chicago
- April 25-28, 2019, Anaheim
- November 21-24, 2019, Washington, D.C.
- Val Hoeppner’s Apps for Journalists 2017
- Looking to create an online portfolio to showcase all of your epic work for college applications and/or contests, or just for you personal creativity? Take a look at Behance by Adobe.
- A mobile app is now available for free to help you learn the principles of the First Amendment. The app, available for your smart phone or your computer, explains the five freedoms protected by the First Amendment and features video clips of Dr. Dwight Teeter, a professor at the University of Tennessee and internationally known expert in First Amendment law. To download the app, click HERE.
Thank you for being part of MV Media!