As Christmas is only a few weeks away, here are a few interesting facts you may not know about Christmas:
1. Santa Claus has his own zip code. In Canada, because of so many letters to Santa filled up post offices, they made their own zip code for him, which happens to be H0H 0H0. Some post offices actually read the letters and write children back.
2. Santa’s red coat wasn’t introduced until the 1930’s. It has been told that he wore different colored suits such as white, green and blue throughout the year. The red suit was introduced in an ad by Coca-Cola.
3. Before Christianity came to Germany, many people decorated trees with ornaments celebrating the winter solstice to lighten everyone up.
4. An average of 15,000 people are sent to the ER around Christmas each year. Many people fall off ladders decorating their trees and houses.
5. Jingle Bells was originally a Thanksgiving song. It was also the first song played in space on the Gemini 6 on December 16, 1965.
6. The song, Silent Night, has over 700 different copyrighted versions available and is the most recored Christmas song in history.
7. The Bible never mentions Jesus’ birth on December 25.It wasn’t until the 4th century that the Catholic Church recognized a date for his birthday. Most historians actually believe he was born sometime in the spring.
8. Jim Carrey’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas was the number one box office Christmas movie ever.
9. 1/6 of all retail purchases in the United States is Christmas related.
10. According to Facebook.com, two weeks before Christmas is the reported time for the most breakups.